Wednesday, July 22, 2009

These boots were made for walking.

I've been packing up the apartment all day.

I have 5 pairs of unworn cowboy boots.

Actually, the breakdown of apartment contents is like so:
59 sundresses. Not winter dresses, sundresses.
76 pairs of shoes (only 3 of which were flip flops)
5 pairs of cowboy boots
6 denim skirts
12 pairs of jeans
45 post it notes
3 tennis rackets (I don't play tennis)
3 full books of stamps (apparently I don't mail either)
17 belts
11 pea coats
27 solid white t shirts, oh they really like me.
41 camisoles

That equals 13 of the large moving boxes, 12 under the bed boxes, one packed-full garment bag, 3 mesh laundry bags, and 3 laundry baskets full. PLUS whatever is still in my chest of drawers and all my hanging clothes (a double door closet with a double bar full)

Goodness.

But as I pack all of this up, I can't help but look back on how much I've done in college. I mean, this apartment is the only place I've ever lived outside of my house.

There's the Express skirt and heels I wore on my first day of my Tuscaloosa News internship where I had to run so far in the rain for my first story on the one millionth CrimsonRide rider.

An assortment of cocktail dresses I've worn to banquets during my "I'm only going to date soon-to-be-rich buisnessmen" phase. The parties were fun, but the conversation was terribly boring.

The completely safe blue polo dress that everyone has.

My fail-proof outfit of black top, jeans, black stilettos (those BCBG ones that everyone got in 2005. I've had them resoled twice, but they were completely worth it) and pearls. This outfit hangs together all the time in case I need it in a hurry.

A mola that was handmade for me in the middle of the Darien Rainforest by a Kuna indian woman. Reminder from the best trip of my life. It still smells like Panama. I love to see it every morning hanging in my closet.

A black strapless dress that Reba would say "was known for teaching lessons."

The J. Crew skirt I wore to my Crimson White interview. You never go wrong with J.Crew. Mark my words. Never.

A pair of brown hotpants and a brown/pink sports bra that I used to wear to competition classes.

The Coach wallet and bag that sweet Ms. Parsons brought be back from the China Olympics after I helped her for a semester with ASPA.

A child's yellow Dickies button-down that I got from Johnny in Playona. He ran a little store where he sold clothes that US Missionaries had brought down. It was his only source of income, but he gave us these so we wouldn't get bitten by redbugs in the jungle. Precious.

The free people stuff from when I went through my "I want to be the lead singer of A Fine Frenzy" phase. You know, the pretty red headed Swedish girl that sings "Goodbye my almost lover.."

I wonder what I'll be packing up in 3 more years? And who will be helping me? And where will I be moving? Will my dreams work out? Will I move to Nashville and marry a cowboy? (I already have the outfit).

It's today for which we're responsible. God still owns tomorrow.- Elisabeth Elliot

-jg

No comments:

Post a Comment