Monday, October 19, 2009

Attractive.

I'm sitting here in jeans, Chacos, a Hanes white tee and my new Patagonia pull over. It's probably the most comfortable I've been in ages. I'm dressed up 90% of the time: heels, tights, skirt, shirt tucked in, pearls, hair curled, makeup on, matching purse, accessories, nails perfectly manicured. I was dressed like that all day. But now, now I'm comfortable.

All of this makes me think: what really makes someone attractive? Now, my poor mother is probably getting nervous while reading this because of the little freak out I had on her earlier today. Don't worry, Momma, this is not about how I attract creepy guys.

Really, what makes someone attractive? What makes you drawn to some people? More so, are like people attracted to each other? Wait, no, opposites attract, right? I don't know.

I don't believe in that "opposites attract" nonsense. I've never been attracted to anyone that wasn't like me in most ways. I like the preppy boys. Clean cut, well dressed, straight laced...just like me.

Here's my other question: if I only attract J.Crew model wannabes, how am I supposed to be His hands and feet?

"It is not those who are well that need a physician, but those who are sick." Luke 5:31

If I'm well, and people like me are well, then why are we just being doctors to each other? If people like me have the Joy and Strength of G-d, then we've got it made. Our problems are small because we know they'll end in just a few short years and we'll spend eternity in heaven. But those other people, their problems are huge and they're hopeless. Maybe we should stop worrying so much about putting Band-aids on our little cuts and start worrying more about performing some open heart surgeries.

I'm attractive to people just like me. You'll recognize my shoes as BCBG, my Coach bag, and you'll even notice when I don't swear. People like me will recognize when I stop myself from gossiping, too. But what about the sick? What about the homeless? What about the lost?

I'm probably far from attractive to them. I probably look stuck up. I've been blessed so much more than I'll ever deserve. I probably look like I'm trying to be "holier than thou." That's not the case. I'm just trying to be holier than I was the day before.

Humility. Is that what's attractive? There's fine line to walk between false humility and knowing that you were created only for glory of G-d. I blur these occasionally. That's usually when I fall. Hard.
Integrity? Important, yes. Attractive? Eh. Not so much.
Cleanliness? Now we're probably more on track.
Happiness? yes.
Joyfulness? yes.
Strength? yes.

I wish I had all the answers. I wish the Bible were longer. I wish it covered every topic, every situation and told me what to do at every minute. I don't like free will. Sometimes, I pray it would go away. I wish He had told us exactly how to act to attract everyone all the time.

Grace and Peace,
jg

1 comment:

  1. I apologize for what I wrote earlier. I completely overreacted. I like your blog entries and I like what you have to say. I am an idiot for what I did and lost control of my head. Please forgive me! You are too much of a good person to get bent out of shape over. I apologize for taking your words and going overboard.

    ReplyDelete