Sunday, October 18, 2009

Makes me happy.

1. A few weeks ago, the Alabama Atheists tried to chalk on the sidewalk. It got washed off for being in the wrong place. Funny, because the Christian clubs mark on the same place and never get washed off.
2. I loved watching people get the little Gideon's Bibles last week. I love getting those.
3. Tom Tom.
4. Freezing to death last night with 20 of the most amazing people on earth. RTR.
5. Peacoat weather. Scarves, gloves, mittens, looking perfectly pulled together in jeans, heels, a good coat, a brooch, scarf and curled hair. I love that look.
6. My preacher quoted A.W. Tozer this morning!!!!
7. Ok, this could go on forever.

I'm so happy these days. Actually, happy fails as a word. I'm joyful. It's comforting to think of the power of G-d when things are going bad. It's nice to remember that he's in control when you obviously aren't. But, I hardly ever think about Him being in control with things are going well. You know what I mean? My accomplishments aren't my own. I am nothing. How great is it to think that the Lord who takes away our pain is also the one who gives us joy and peace? His power has been displayed so much in my life recently. I only want to reflect it.

In Mere Christianity, C.S. Lewis writes, "God will make the feeblest and filthiest of us into a god or a goddess, a dazzling, radiant, immortal creature, pulsating all through with such energy and joy and wisdom and love as we cannot now imagine, a bright stainless mirror which reflects back to God perfectly…His own boundless power and delight and goodness"

Perfect. The perfect quotation for how I feel right now. Only, the thing is, I want to be a mirror right now.

I think my ban on negative Web sites and ungraceful words has helped me a lot. No saying these words: crap, screwed, sucks, pissed ect. I've stopped with the words that could be bad such as "put him through Hell" or "she was bitching" No textsfromlastnight, no fmylife, no Sex and the City. Not even a "we just beat the ... out of you." Even as I write them, I'm becoming ashamed that I ever let those words come out of my mouth.

So what has this changed? My thoughts are purer. I'm beginning to see people how Christ sees them. I'm beginning to despise some characteristics both in myself and in others. Dishonesty is a big one. I've stopped all exaggerations, that's just lying. I've become more separated from the world I'm involved with, but more in touch with the Church and my church family. My sense of discernment has grown tremendously. I'm drawn so much to some people, and pulled away from others. At some points, there have even been people that I run from. It's not a fear thing, though. I can just hear Him telling me to run from evil. I'm surrounded by enough unholy things in my career. I think these little disciplines are going to be imperative in my self preservation. Like Billie Holliday said, "I ain't misbehavin, savin all my love for you."

On another note, one of the characteristics I've grown to hate in myself is that I focus too much on myself. Ironic sentence. Me me me me me me. Gross. I don't talk about other people, so I fall into the habit of only talking about me. Make sense? When I was in high school, I started telling embarrassing stories about myself whenever I wanted to gossip. There must be more graceful, joyful things to discuss. I have to find those.

It's going to be a wonderful week.
G-d Bless all who read this.

Grace and Peace,
jg

2 comments: