Saturday, September 26, 2009

Old Habits.

I caught myself in a familiar situation this morning. I don't know how many times I've done it, but almost every Sunday for the past 21 years I have stood on my toes and leaned over the pew to watch people come down during the song of invitation in a Church of Christ. I love that perfect moment, that one instant when they start walking faster. It happens when they're about halfway down the aisle and they almost start running.

I think life's like that, sort of.

I think you sit still for so long and you hear so many sermons then you start to walk. Then, I think Jesus meets you halfway and you have to start running to Him. I've started running now. The most important part of the Christian life isn't grace and forgiveness anymore. The most important part of the Christian life is glorifying Him in all that I do. Yep, I've started to run.

I've been so blessed this semester. I have a church family that I'm not sure how I lived without for 3 years. I've been reunited with so many of the GHS/Mayfair people who have reminded me where my roots are. It's so hard to remember that being different isn't always good. I often forget that the new trend, style, theology isn't always the best. I've been so blessed by those who reminded me that I was raised to be classic. We were the girls who wore pearls to Grissom, made straight As, didn't dance bad at Prom, and then knew how to shoot a gun and hold our own in Mexico. We were taught to act properly in public, but then get dirty and sweaty with the little hispanic babies on mission trips. We've seen heartache. We were blessed, but until you've had to leave a baby in the arms of a drug addict on the streets of Houston, Texas, you will never know the heartache we've felt. We were the students that teachers loved, even though we had a little tendency to be mischievous. We're the girls who still hold on to that old mantra that "we're the girls they'll want to marry, not date" with the hope that the good Lord has our Prince Charming picked out for us when we are ready to receive him. I'm so thankful for this reminder.

God is faithful.
Grace and Peace,
-jg

No comments:

Post a Comment